University Admission Requirements
A student applying to a master's program must:
- have earned a four-year bachelor's degree or its equivalent from a college or university that is accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting association, or do so within one academic year
- present unofficial transcripts from each college or university other than Illinois State at which graduate, undergraduate, or non-degree credit was earned. The unofficial transcript should be easily readable and clearly indicate degree(s) awarded, courses and course grades for each term. If accepted, official transcripts can be emailed from the university to GraduateAdmissions@IllinoisState.edu or mailed in a sealed envelope to: Illinois State University, Graduate School, 209 Hovey Hall, Campus Box 4040, Normal, IL 61790-4040.
International students can learn more about specific application requirements by visiting the Office of Admissions.
Additional Program Admission Requirements
A student applying to this program must:
- have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for either the last 60 hours of your undergraduate coursework or any previous work in a master's program
- submit a current resume
- submit a statement of purpose describing why you are seeking admittance into the program (2 pages)
- submit an academic writing sample (at least 5 pages)
- submit names and email addresses of three references for letters of recommendation within the online application.
GRE scores are not required for your application. However, if you wish to submit them, you may.
Scores do not play a significant part in our decision-making process for admission. GRE scores may help your application if you did not have strong undergraduate grades but do have strong GRE scores.
Use institution code 1319 if you want to submit your scores. It will not be held against you if you do not submit GRE scores as part of your application.
Admission Dates and Deadlines
|Fall (August)||March 1|
|Dr. Marion Willetts||Schroeder firstname.lastname@example.org||(309) 438-3737|